PDA

View Full Version : Devon

Strongers
04-02-2012, 14:50
We’ve decided to book a week in a cottage in Devon over Easter as we’ve not been away for nearly five years. My eldest is four and has never been on Holiday!
:eek::(

Looking for a sandy beach and the misses wants some peace and quiet. I on the other hand would like a few pubs to visit and some public transport to more pubs would be ideal!!!:evilgrin:

Paignton seems to fit the bill... Anyone been there recently?

The peace and quiet and sandy beach trumps the access to pubs because if the misses and kids have a crap time because I insisted on staying in a party town my input into future holidays will be non-existent.

Any info would be greatly received.

Al 10000
04-02-2012, 15:22
Hi Strongers,

Me and the wife had a drinking holiday down there but based in Exeter.

If you have got a four year old then Paignton would fit the bill has there is quite a bit for kids to do there but as for drinking this was the worst town we went to and we visited quite a few towns in this area.

There was a decent train service along the coast from Exeter to Plymouth,Newton Abbot had quite a few pubs, Brixham is a very nice seaside town with a decent amount of pubs.
We had a quick visit to Dawlish which is also on the coast about 6 pubs there,Teignmouth is a really nice town by the sea and there was a decent amount of pubs there.
We found Exeter a bit short on pubs but it is a nice enough city.

So after all that rambling i think the best options are either Dawlish for a quiet holiday or Paignton for a more brash type of holiday.

I have photographed all pubs visited down there and all beers drunk but this was back in 2001 so would probably not be much help.

Strongers
04-02-2012, 20:50
Cheers Al,

Had a look at Brixham and it looks like somewhere I would enjoy, but the beach is shingle so only a day trip would be on the cards. So, with Brixham to the south and Torquay to the north we've booked a week in Paignton - Not far from the train station!

Thanks for the input.

trainman
05-02-2012, 17:18
Maybe a little to far to sneak off to, and probably little chance of local transport, but I'm still a little aggrieved that the Tom Cobley (http://http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/pubs/4239283/Devon-Pub-Guide-Tom-Cobley-Tavern-Spreyton.html) in Spreyton was closed when I was last out West. You could maybe check the Topsham's Bridge (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/7875/) if passing close by on way, there or back...

Strongers
05-02-2012, 20:03
We'll pass not far from the Bridge but I'm not sure that I'll be able to talk the misses into veering off the M5 so that I can go to the pub!

Andy Ven
05-02-2012, 20:10
What about north Devon such as Ilfracombe, Woolacombe or Exmoor (http://www.westilkerton.co.uk/) National Park?

Strongers
06-02-2012, 10:00
I did look at North Devon and it looks very nice. I'll put it on the endless list of places to visit.

Farway
06-02-2012, 14:23
Strongers, A good few years back we had a holiday in Paignton, and found it very nice. Unable to comment about pubs for much same reason as you

It does make an ideal point for getting elsewhere, such as Torquay

The zoo was not worth visit, but it was yonks ago so, like pubs reviewed, it may well have improved since my visit

I reckon for a family holiday it would be fine

But as I note you are located Eastbourne, maybe a busman's holiday?

Strongers
07-02-2012, 18:56
But as I note you are located Eastbourne, maybe a busman's holiday?

When something is on your doorstep it's amazing howlittle you see of it. The beach at Eastbourne is pebbled so ideal for sittingon a deck chair with a handkerchief on the bonce, but not great for playingon.... This is why we were adamant on the sandy beach.

Should be a good week away.

Farway
08-02-2012, 13:42
When something is on your doorstep it's amazing howlittle you see of it. The beach at Eastbourne is pebbled so ideal for sittingon a deck chair with a handkerchief on the bonce, but not great for playingon.... This is why we were adamant on the sandy beach.

Should be a good week away.

I know just what you mean with stuff on your doorstep, in my case it is Southsea, yet we always went to Devon or Dorset for our hols

Pangolin
19-02-2012, 19:55
I haven't been to Paignton itself for a few years, but some of the backstreet pubs used to be tolerable, and there is always the 'Spoons. 2 tips - if you have transport, a good and more-peaceful beach is Broadsands well to the south, although sadly publess; and try to fit in the trip to Kingswear by steam train and boat over to Dartmouth, which is a good day out with some great pubs.

PS - Positive vote FOR the zoo!!

Farway
20-02-2012, 13:53
and try to fit in the trip to Kingswear by steam train and boat over to Dartmouth, which is a good day out with some great pubs.

PS - Positive vote FOR the zoo!!

Second Kingwear & Dartmouth, and nice to know the zoo has improved since my ages ago visit

Strongers
22-02-2012, 13:11
Cheers guys. The zoo was already on the list and the steam train and boat sounds very interesting. The week is filling up quickly.